Why tempt fate? Here are 10 symbolically lucky foods to enjoy on New Year's Day.
1. Black Eyed Peas.Thought to bring prosperity for the New Year.
2. Greens."Show me the money!" Greens for dollars.
3. Pomegranate.The seeds are associated with life and abundance. (Check out 5 Things You Didn't Know About Pomegranate.)
4. Long Noodles.Eat them without breaking them in the middle and they represent a long life.
5. Peas and Rice (Hoppin’ John).Peas for pennies and prosperity and rice is for fertility and wealth.
6. Pot Likker Soup with Pork.Pork is for progress.
7. Cornbread.Cornbread is for gold.
8. Round Cakes.Represents a full circle of luck.
9. Grapes.Eat 12 grapes at midnight to bring luck for the next 12 months.
10. FishThere are lots of fish in the sea! Associated with abundance and, although we don’t eat the scales of silver fish, they represent an abundance of coinage. (See our featured Easy Fish Ceviche and Fish Stick Tacos recipes for inspiration!)
There is no denying that many of the above "lucky foods" are of southern flair. Put a few together and create a prosperous meal and welcome a lucky 2022! Happy New Year from our family to yours!